The Pufferfish is a remarkable creature which live mostly in the warm waters of the Indian, Pacific and Atlantic Oceans. Sluggish and slow, they can’t escape an approaching predator.
However, this marine marvel has a deadly defense mechanism: it ingests huge quantities of water, blowing itself up to several times its size and in the process becoming inedible. Also, the creature is packed with poison.
Tetrodotoxin is 1,200 times more poisonous than cyanide, and there’s enough in a Pufferfish to kill around 30 adult humans. Even worse, there’s no known antidote – making a grim death inevitable.
Remarkably, given its immense toxicity, Pufferfish is a delicacy in Japan, where it appears on fine dining menus as fugu. Be warned, however, that even in death, this remains a dangerous creature. Fugu chefs must be incredibly skilled to prepare it, as 30 to 50 people in Japan are hospitalized every year due to fugu poisoning.