It might look harmless enough, but the Cone Snail is both dangerous and deadly. Packed with poison, those unfortunate enough to come into contact risk paying the ultimate price. Thinking about picking one up from the ocean floor? Take our best advice — don’t.
The Cone Snail possesses toxic harpoons that can fire in any direction without warning. The venom within contains countless compounds and varies from species to species. Given that there are more than 800 varieties — some measuring up to 23cm in length — finding an effective antidote is a tall order indeed.
Those stung can suffer muscular paralysis, blurred vision and breathing difficulties, whilst in severe cases, fatalities can occur. Lurking amongst coral reefs and rocks, Cone Snails tend to make their homes in tropical and sub-tropical waters. For anyone entering their immediate environment, the risks are significant and the dangers grave.
Continue Reading This Article