Belarus is a country in Eastern Europe. It’s a great location for a road trip as it is bordered by Russia to the northeast, Ukraine to the south, Poland to the west, and Lithuania and Latvia to the northwest. The country is famed for its mix of Soviet architecture, grand baroque buildings, fairy tale castles and primeval forests. Suggested Daily Budget: 77 Belarusian Rouble or £24 ($31).
Travelers can spend in average £8 ($10) in meals for just one day. Some of the typical dishes to try are Machanka (pork stew), local homemade sausages, draniki (thick potato pancakes), kletski (dumplings) and babka (baked grated potato pie).
The accommodation price range between £15 ($19) and £40 ($52) for budget hotels. If your budget is very tight, you’ll be able to find a bed in a hostel and pay between £5 and £10.
If you like history and notably Soviet history, you’ll find Belarus very interesting. There are here well-preserved vestiges of the occupation during WW2. Khatyn for instance is a memorial in the memory of an entire village burnt down by the German Army.
– Visit the capital Minsk – Don’t miss the iconic Independence Square flanked by the formidable KGB Headquarters.
– Marvel at Mir and Nesvizh – Outside of the hustle and bustle you can discover the magical castle complexes of Mir and Nesvizh, grand and enchanting royal retreats dating to the 15th and 16th centuries. Witness the opulent blend of Renaissance and baroque styles.
– Hike the Belovezhskaya Pushcha National Park – Nature lovers will enjoy walking in the Belovezhskaya Pushcha National Park. These ancient forests are home to rare European bison and other spectacular flora and fauna.
– Have Diner in a Soviet-themed restaurant – If you visit the city of Brest, pop at Kafe Gagarin, a very quirky soviet cafe and one of the best local restaurant in town.
– Visit Chernobyl Exclusion Zone – You may not know that but Chernobyl radiations actually affected Belarus and more than 2,000 towns and villages were evacuated. You can take a guided tour of the exclusion zone if you’re looking for thrills.