The mystical land of Cambodia is home to sprawling ancient temple sites, white powder beaches, a feast of culinary delights and a rich history. Soak up the culture of Siem Reap and Angkor Watt, explore the hustle and bustle of Phnom Penh and its stunning Royal Palace. Visit quieter colonial cities of Kampot, Kampong Cham and Kratie for even more bang for your buck. Suggested Daily Budget: 143,673 Cambodian Riel or £28 ($35).
Travelers can spend on average £9 ($12) on meals for just one day. Some of the typical dishes to try are the Fish amok (steamed coconut fish in banana leaves), Samlor machu trey (sweet and sour soup with fish), Char kroeung sach ko (stir-fried lemongrass beef), Twa ko (Cambodian sausage) and Nom banh chok (Khmer noodles).
You can pay as low as £2 in hostels or homestay accommodations in Cambodia. Though if you’re looking for a little more comfort and budget, there are very decent hotels for about £30 a night.
With an amazing landscape, beautiful temples and a rich history, Cambodia is an amazing destination for intrepid travelers. Here is our top pick of activities on a budget:
– Visit Siem Reap – Siem Reap is a beautiful ancient city. It should be in your to do list if you go to Cambodia. It’s also good to spend the night here so you can get up early to admire the sunrise at the Angkor Wat view point, you’ll see, it’s absolutely stunning.
– Explore The Ratanakiri Province – This is a beautiful trek in a lush forest. You might even spot wild animals. ‘Highland Tour’ has good reviews and is better priced than other agencies (about $30 for a day trek).
– See the shiny sea in Koh Rong – In the cosy island of Koh Rong, you can observe a stunning sea of stars. Our tip – Have a few drinks by the nearby beach bars and when it’s night, walk towards the shore in the darkest area and stir the water a little bit. You will see the plankton glow in the water.
– Snorkel or scuba dive – Cambodia marine life is incredible. You’ll see here colourful coral reefs and tropical fish.
– Kayak down the Mekong – It’s a great way to see the scenic forest from the peaceful river.
Continue Reading This Article